Why it’s important
Individual parts of a service often work in a controlled environment. However, it’s of more value to understand how they work in real life and how they fit into the larger way people obtain the service being offered. Create test accounts to test as students and conduct user testing with real users. Test throughout the entire design and development of your product, and include leaders so they understand what every interaction looks and feels like.
What to consider
- Who needs to test your service end-to-end?
- Will students interact with your service? (If so, set up a test account.)
- Which leaders need to be a part of testing?
- Have you identified each touchpoint your users will interact with?
Put this principle into action
In the early stages:
- Create personas of users (e.g., IT staff, faculty, students, online learners), and test the service with them.
- Create test accounts of your personas to perform a heuristic review.
- As you progress, review online and offline touchpoints to ensure you’re providing a consistent experience for your users.
- As the development of the service evolves, ...